ROLDAN 2nd IN BAHREIN
abr 25th, 2009
The Spaniard Roldan Rodriguez (Piquet GP) has achieved a second place in the first of the two races of the Bahrein Grand Prix in the GP2 Asia
In tomorrow’s test, a shorter one (23 laps), Roldan will defend his runner up position, since his second placing today has given him options to end up the competition behind the Japanese driver.
Third was the Belgian Jerome d’Ambrossio (Dams), who yesterday made the “pole” but had to fulfil last race’s sanction that took him back to the tenth position. Nevertheless, he made a great job climbing some positions and even made the fastest lap.
At the beginning of the race, the leader of the World Series lost the first position after a great start from Nunes, who also passed Roldan, that was coming out from second place. From the first curve, Nunes imposed his tempo as he managed to open a gap of some seconds between him and the rest. The entrance at the pit lane to change tires was definitive for Roldan’s expectations, as he lost some precious seconds during the time he had to get out due to the traffic generated on that area.
With an advantage of almost 6 seconds Nunes came out from his stop at the 14th lap and it was practically impossible for Roldan to come close. Some places behind, and since Valsecchi was not fighting for points, Kobayashi slowed down and he kept a comfortable position, after passing D’ambrossio.
–Race results (33 laps, 178’350 km):
- Diego Nunes BRA Piquet GP 59:59.025
- RoldánRodríguez ESP Piquet GP 1:00.03.931
- Jerome d’Ambrosio BEL Dams 1:00.06.930
- Kamui Kobayashi JAP Dams 1:00.14.307
- Giedo van der Garde HOL GFH Team 1:00.19.799
- Sakon Yamamoto JAP ART GP 1:00.30.649
- Davide Rigon ITA Trident Rac 1:00.47.035
- Luiz Razia BRA Arden Int 1:00.49.948
- Karun Chandhok IND Ocean Racing 1:00.54.709
- James Jakes GBR Super Nova 1:00.54.878
- Giacomo Ricci ITA DPR 1:00.56.596
- Sergio Pérez MEX Barwa Int 1:00.56.900
- Michael Herck ROM DPR 1:00.57.147
- Marco Bonanomi ITA My Team Q 1:01.04.353
- Javier Villa ESP Super Nova 1:01.14.770
- Davide Valsecchi ITA Durango 1:01.17.504
- Ricardo Teixeira POR Trident Rac 1:01.27.533
- Fabrizio Crestani ITA Ocean Racing 1 vuelta
- Vitaly Petrov RUS Barwa Int 2 vueltas
– Championship after 10 races.
- Kamui Kobayashi JAP Dams 54 puntos (campeón)
- Roldán Rodríguez ESP Piquet GP 35
- Davide Valsecchi ITA Durango 34
- Jerome d’Ambrosio BEL Dams 30
- Vitaly Petrov RUS Barwa Int 28